Search This Blog

Weird ideas with watermelon

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I have a watermelon in the refrigerator right now, but I don't think I'll repeat this experimental dish from earlier in the season: broiled/grilled watermelon.

Mark Bittman warned me that this dish would be little more than a memorable gimmick, but I had half a watermelon handy, plenty of time, easy access to fresh herbs on the back porch, an audience that was game (my husband and mother-in-law) and a hankerin' for novelty, so I tried his suggestion of brushing slices of watermelon with olive oil and sprinkling with salt, pepper and minced fresh rosemary, then placing the pieces in the broiler of the oven (or on the grill, if I had decided to fire up the grill at my in-laws'), and blasting them with heat until they gave up a lot of liquid and turned chewier. This took about 20 minutes.

They were called watermelon steaks in the recipe, but they reminded all of us more of a cooked summer squash in their texture and flavor. Of course, they retained some of the sweetness of watermelon along with that squash-like flavor, which struck us as an odd combination. We declared them not bad, but not worth repeating as plain-old fresh watermelon is far and away more satisfying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Foam by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP